- Country or region
- Trade topics
- Negotiations and agreements
The European Union and Mercosur states – Argentina, Brazil Paraguay and Uruguay – reached a political agreement on 28 June 2019 for an ambitious, balanced and comprehensive trade agreement.
- Press release - EU and Mercosur reach agreement on trade
The EU is Mercosur's number one trade and investment partner. EU exports to Mercosur were €45 billion in goods in 2021 and €17 billion in services in 2020.
The EU is the biggest foreign investor in Mercosur with a stock of €330 billion in 2020. While the relationship is very substantial both exporters and potential investors face barriers in Mercosur markets.
The goal of the new EU-Mercosur trade deal is to
- Increase bilateral trade and investment, and lower tariff and non-tariff trade barriers, notably for small and medium sized enterprises
- Create more stable and predictable rules for trade and investment through better and stronger rules, e.g. in the area of intellectual property rights (including geographical indications), food safety standards, competition and good regulatory practices
- Promote joint values such as sustainable development, by strengthening worker’s rights, fight climate change, increase environmental protection, encourage companies to act responsibly, and uphold high food safety standards
The agreement represents a win-win for both the EU and Mercosur, creating opportunities for growth, jobs and sustainable development on both sides.
About the agreement
EU-Mercosur Trade in your town
EU-Mercosur trade in your town
Towns and cities across the EU export to Mercosur. Here's just a sample.
Finland - Giving Argentinians a taste of traditional Finnish brewing
The company sees growing demand for its types of beer in South America, and especially in Argentina, and would like to launch exports there. A trade agreement between the EU and Mercosur would open up a whole new market, where similar tastes in beer are found on both sides of the Atlantic.
Meeting of the European Union-Mercosur chief negotiators
Joint communiqué of the European Union and Mercosur.
Commission publishes final SIA and Position Paper on EU-Mercosur trade agreement
The Commission published today the final version of the SIA on the potential impact of the EU-Mercosur agreement.
EU-Mercosur statement on Sustainable Development at EU27-LAC Informal Ministerial Meeting
On the occasion of the EU27-LAC Informal Ministerial Meeting in Berlin on 14 December, the ratification and entry into force of the EU-Mercosur Agreement were discussed.