- Date: 24/06/2021, 09:30-11:30
- Location: WEBEX
Registration closes on: 18/06/2021, 12:00
Please note that we have moved to a new registration system.
• Already registered in the new system? Sign up to participate in the meeting
• Not registered yet? Register your organisation
The EU and five countries of Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA-5) – Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, the Seychelles and Zimbabwe – are currently negotiating the deepening of the existing EU-ESA Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA).
The negotiations aim at a comprehensive trade agreement, covering trade in goods, services, investment and other trade-related topics, as well as an ambitious chapter on trade and sustainable development. The negotiations were launched on 2 October 2019, and, so far, four negotiation rounds have been held (in January, July, December 2020 and April 2021).
Further information on the EU’s negotiations with the ESA-5 states
In line with the standard practice, DG Trade has commissioned an independent contractor, LSE Consulting, to undertake a Sustainability Impact Assessment (SIA), which will feed into the negotiations. Its purpose is, to provide for a deep assessment of the potential economic, social, human rights and environmental effects of the anticipated new and comprehensive EPA and to undertake an ex-post evaluation of the current agreement. It will be based on a broad consultation of stakeholders and include recommendations for measures.
This is the third civil society dialogue that is being organised. The reports of the first two meetings that took place on 11 September 2020 and 22 March 2021 can be found here and here respectively.
The purpose of this 3rd meeting is to present to the EU Civil Society Organisations the state of play of the negotiations with ESA-5, the draft thematic reports of the Sustainability Impact Assessment on (1) Public procurement and competition, (2) intellectual property rights and (3) dispute avoidance and settlement and institutional structure, as well as draft case studies on Agriculture, Tourism and Textiles.
All draft reports will be published shortly on the following link. We will inform registered participants as soon as the reports are published.
- Ewa Synowiec, Director, Directorate-General for Trade (DG Trade), Chief Negotiator for the negotiations to deepen the EU-ESA EPA
- Study Coordinator/Team Leader of the consortium led by LSE Consulting
Deputy Head of Unit Transparency, Civil Society and Communication Unit, DG Trade, European Commission
- Presentation of the state of play of the negotiations;
- Presentation of the draft thematic reports by the consultant, and;
- Open discussion with stakeholders.
The meeting will take place via WEBEX. Access code and password will be sent to registered participants. We would be grateful if participants could launch their WEBEX connection at least 30 minutes in advance of the meeting so that any technical problems can be arranged in time before the meeting.
- CSD SIA ESA EPA power point presentation, 24/06/2021
- CSD SIA ESA EPA meeting report, 01/07/2021
- international trade | trade agreement
- Yra tiesioginė transliacija
- Country or region
- Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA)
- Trade topics
- Negotiations and agreements
- Event type
- EU Trade Dialogue with Civil Society
- Prekybos generalinis direktoratas
- Interneto svetainė
- Watch the recording of the event.
The purpose of this meeting is to present to EU Civil Society the state-of-play of the EPA deepening negotiations with ESA-5, and to discuss the draft thematic reports of the Sustainability Impact Assessment.