- Date: 30/04/2020, 15:00-17:00
- Location: WEBEX
The Directorate-General for Trade (DG Trade) has commissioned an ex-post evaluation of the impact of trade chapters of the Euro-Mediterranean Association Agreements with six partners: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco and Tunisia. The purpose of the ex-post evaluation is to assess the achievement of the main objectives of the trade chapters of the Association Agreements.
The Euro-Mediterranean Association Agreements were conceived to help achieve the goals of the 1995 Barcelona Declaration, signed by EU Member States and Southern Mediterranean Countries (SMCs), including the six countries considered in this ex-post evaluation.
A key policy instrument to reach the Barcelona objectives was an eventual establishment of a free trade area between the EU and the South Mediterranean partners through bilateral Euro-Mediterranean free trade agreements (FTAs) and FTAs to be concluded between the SM partners themselves.
The FTAs between the EU and each of the six SMCs were signed between 1995 and 2002 and entered into force between 1998 and 2006. They focused on liberalisation of trade in goods with the objective to promote trade and expansion of harmonious economic and social relations and to establish the conditions for the gradual liberalization of trade in goods, services, and capital between the EU and SM partner countries (i.e., promotion of Euro-Med trade).
They also encourage intra-regional integration by promoting trade and cooperation within the region as well as between it and the EU Community and its Member States (i.e., promotion of intra-Med trade).
The purpose of the meeting is to present and discuss with civil society the findings of the Interim Technical Report of the ex-post evaluation. The report has been published on DG Trade website.
It is also accessible at the project’s website:
- Deputy Head of Unit E3 of DG Trade, European Commission
- Evaluation Project Leaders, Ecorys and CASE - Center for Social and Economic Research, Consultants
- Civil Society Coordination, DG Trade, European Commission
- Presentation of the Interim Technical Report for the Euromed evaluation by the consultant
- Open discussion with stakeholders
- Collecting stakeholders’ concrete suggestions for further reports or statistics that could be taken into account by the consultants during the next project phase.
The meeting will take place via WEBEX. Access code and password will be sent to registered participants. We would be grateful if participants could launch their WEBEX connection 60 minutes in advance of the meeting so that any technical problems can be arranged in time before the meeting.
- trade agreement | international trade
- Živý přenos je k dispozici
- Country or region
- JordanLebanonSouthern Neighbourhood
- Trade topics
- Negotiations and agreements
- Event type
- EU Trade Dialogue with Civil Society
- Generální ředitelství pro obchod
The purpose of the meeting is to present and discuss with civil society the findings of the Interim Technical Report of the ex-post evaluation.