- Date: 11/09/2020, 10:00-12:00
- Location: WEBEX
The EU and five countries of Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA-5) – Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, the Seychelles and Zimbabwe – are currently negotiating the deepening of the existing EU-ESA Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA).
The negotiations aim at a comprehensive trade agreement, covering trade in goods, services, investment and other trade-related topics, as well as an ambitious chapter on trade and sustainable development. The negotiations were launched on 2nd October 2019, and, so far, two negotiation rounds have been held (in January and July 2020).
In line with the standard practice, DG Trade has commissioned an independent contractor, LSE Consulting, to undertake a Sustainability Impact Assessment (SIA), which will feed into the negotiations. The purpose of the SIA is to provide for a deep assessment of the potential economic, social, human rights and environmental effects of the anticipated new and comprehensive EPA.
The purpose of this meeting is to present to EU civil society organisations the state of play of the negotiations with ESA-5, to present the draft Inception Report of the Sustainability Impact Assessment, and to exchange views on these topics.
- Ewa Synowiec, Director, Directorate-General for Trade (DG Trade), Chief Negotiator for the negotiations to deepen the EU-ESA EPA
- Study Coordinator/Team Leader of the consortium led by LSE Consulting
- Civil Society Coordination, DG Trade, European Commission
- Presentation of the state of play of the negotiations
- Presentation of the draft Inception Report for the SIA in support of the EU-ESA-5 negotiations
- Open discussion with stakeholders
The meeting will take place via WEBEX. Access code and password will be sent to registered participants. We would be grateful if participants could launch their WEBEX connection at least 30 minutes in advance of the meeting so that any technical problems can be arranged in time before the meeting.
- trade agreement | international trade | trade policy
- Live streaming available
- Country or region
- Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA)
- Trade topics
- Economic Partnerships
- Event type
- EU Trade Dialogue with Civil Society
- Directorate-General for Trade
The purpose of this meeting is to present to EU civil society organisations the state of play of the negotiations with ESA-5, to present the draft Inception Report of the Sustainability Impact Assessment, and to exchange views.