- Country or region
- Trade topics
- Negotiations and agreements
On 17 June 2022, the European Union relaunched negotiations with India for a Free Trade Agreement, and launched separate negotiations for an Investment Protection Agreement and an Agreement on Geographical Indications (GIs).
The EU is India's third largest trading partner, accounting for €88 billion worth of trade in goods in 2021 or 10.8% of total Indian trade. India is the EU’s 10th largest trading partner, accounting for 2.1% of EU total trade in goods. Trade in services between the EU and India reached €30.4 billion in 2020.
The trade negotiations aim to:
- Remove barriers and helping EU firms – especially smaller ones – to export more;
- Open up services and public procurement markets;
- Ensure protection of geographical indications;
- Pursue ambitious commitments on trade and sustainable development, and;
- Make sure the agreed rules are enforceable.
The investment protection negotiations aim to provide investors from both sides with a predictable and secure investment environment, through commitments on:
- Protection against expropriation without compensation and unfair treatment of investors and their investments, while preserving the right to regulate, and;
- Transfer of returns.
The investment protection negotiations also seek to put in place an effective and state-of-the-art dispute settlement mechanism to enforce such rules.
About the agreements
Call for Tender - Trade Sustainability Impact Assessment (SIA) in Support of Negotiations with India
TRADE/2022/OP/0008 - Trade Sustainability Impact Assessment (SIA) in Support of Negotiations with India
Prior information notice - Trade Sustainability Impact Assessment (SIA) in Support of Negotiations with India - TRADE/2022/OP/0008-PIN
Trade Sustainability Impact Assessment (SIA) in Support of Negotiations with India - TRADE/2022/OP/0008-PIN
Today, European Commission Executive Vice-President Valdis Dombrovskis and Indian Commerce Minister Piush Goyal formally relaunched EU-India negotiations on a balanced, ambitious, comprehensive and mutually beneficial free trade agreement.