- Country or region
- Trade topics
- Negotiations and agreementsTrade policy
The EU and Chile concluded an Association Agreement in 2002, which includes comprehensive trade rules (see Part IV of the Association Agreement) that entered into force in February 2003 covering EU-Chile trade relations.
- The EU is Chile's third-largest trade partner, comprising 9,5 of Chile's total trade in 2022.
- The EU is Chile's third-largest import supplier and Chile's third-largest export market, after China and the US.
- In 2022 EU imports from Chile were vegetable products (38,5%), mineral products (20,3%), and base metals (21,4%).
- EU exports to Chile in 2022 were machinery (27,5%), chemical products (18,9%) and transport equipment (17,3%).
The EU and Chile
The current trade part of the EU-Chile Association Agreement:
- removes tariffs
- removes trade barriers
- guarantees protection for European intellectual property in Chile
The Agreement has a trade coordinator meeting and special trade related sub-committees which meet yearly to review the use of the Agreement and other trade-related issues.
Modernising the trade part of the EU-Chile Association Agreement
The EU and Chile concluded negotiations to modernise the existing EU-Chile Association Agreement on 9 December 2022, ensuring that the agreement continues to address all areas of the relevant trade and investment relationship between the EU and Chile.
- Negotiating directives adopted by the Council in November 2017, explaining the scope of these negotiations.
- Draft negotiating mandate, May 2017
- EU initial textual proposals for these negotiations & round reports
- Sustainability Impact Assessments in support of negotiations for the modernisation of the trade part of the Association Agreement with Chile
Trading with Chile
Today, the European Union and Chile have concluded negotiations on the EU-Chile Advanced Framework Agreement.
As part of its transparency commitment, the European Commission today published the report summarising progress made during the seventh round of negotiations for the modernisation of the Trade part of the EU-Chile Association Agreement took place from 25 to 29 May.