- Country or region
- United States
- Trade topics
- Dispute settlement
- Dispute settlement
- WTO - Complaint against the EU
Summary of the case
- Complaint by: United States
- Complaint against: EU
- Third parties: Australia, Brazil, China, Costa Rica, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Korea, Republic Of, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan (Chinese Taipei), Thailand, Turkey, Viet Nam
This dispute concerns various EU measures pertaining to the tariff treatment of certain products related to information technology. The specific products at issue were identified as "flat panel display devices" ("FPDs"), "set-top boxes which have a communication function" ("STBCs") and "multifunctional digital machines" ("MFMs").
The complainants claimed that for each product, the EU is obliged, under its GATT Schedule of Concessions, to grant duty-free treatment, pursuant to modifications to the Schedule reflecting commitments made under the Information Technology Agreement ("ITA"). The United States and Chinese Taipei also alleged that rules on classification of certain set-top boxes have been applied before their publication.
Relevant WTO provision: GATT 1994 (II:1(a), II:1(b), X:1 and X:2)
The DSB adopted the panel's report on 21 September 2010. The EU confirmed its intent to implement the recommendations and rulings in this dispute in a communication to the DSB on 15 October 2010 (WT/DS375/14, WT/DS376/14, WT/DS377/12) and at the DSB meeting of 25 October 2010.
The EU requested a reasonable period of time in which to do so. On 20 December 2010, the parties to the dispute informed the DSB that they had agreed that the reasonable period of time for the EU to implement the recommendations and rulings of the DSB would be nine months and nine days from the date of the adoption of the recommendations and rulings of the DSB.
Accordingly, the reasonable period of time expires on 30 June 2011.
- Consultations requested: 28 May 2008
- Panel requested: 18 August 2008
- Panel established: 23 September 2008
- Panel report circulated: 16 September 2010
- Panel/Appellate Body report adopted: 21 September 2010
- Implementation deadline: 30 June 2011
EU submissions and other related documents